Consultation has concluded.
To increase access to open space for residents and the community, Council will be transforming the closed section of Birmingham Street, Yarraville (between Avoca Street and Pentland Parade) into a pocket park.
This upgrade, which will include a large central lawn, improved pedestrian and bicycle connections, seating and more, is supported by a $1.03 million grant from the Victorian Government’s Local Parks Program.
The improvement of this space aligns with Council’s Open Space Strategy and Bicycle Strategy, which identifies a bicycle route along Birmingham Street.
Draft Concept Plan
Council undertook preliminary community consultation in July 2020 to shape the development of the draft concept plan, which was then shared with the community at the start of 2021. The feedback we received on the draft concept plan was used to inform the final design, which was endorsed by Council on 25 May 2021.
Following extensive community consultation, the draft concept plan was revised to reflect the community’s views and will include:
- A separation of the bicycle lane and pedestrian path with a garden bed and tree planting.
- A larger central lawn area for sitting and relaxing.
- Increased landscaped areas to maximise the amount of green space and tree planting.
- Improved clear sightlines through the park to enhance views and passive surveillance.
- Lighting to the bicycle path and the eastern footpath only to provide a well-lit route through the park.
- The alignment of features at the southern end to provide better access for students moving between the two school campuses.
- A raingarden to filter stormwater.
- Improved pedestrian and bicycle connections.
- Timber decking elements for flexible seating, relaxation and play.
The final design for the Birmingham Street Pocket Park is available for download here or see in the document library on the right hand side.
Detailed design documentation to support the design plan is currently underway and construction works are expected to commence early in 2022. Updates will be made to this page as construction works proceed.
For more information relating to the construction of the pocket park please contact us by phoning 9688 0200 or email Council’s Recreation and Open Space team.
Concept Design Survey 2021
CLOSED: This survey has concluded.