After more than forty years, the old Lae Street Nursery in West Footscray was closed a few years ago due to the deteriorating condition of the site and buildings. Today the site is only used to store plants and a few other items.
Having recently heard calls from some members of the community wanting to open up the site for public use, we are wanting to start a conversation with neighbours and the West Footscray community generally to understand what they think about that idea, and any thoughts they may have on the potential future use of the site.
You can give us your initial thoughts below.
Council is also establishing an Advisory Group to represent local interests and support the wider conversation. The Lae Street Community Advisory Group will:
- Assist Council with exploring options for potential future uses for the site.
- Support broader engagement with the community on these options to ensure wide and inclusive engagement.
- Work with Council to review community feedback from the engagement process to identify wider community preference.
- Assist council to identify potential governance options for any preferred option.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a dozen people with an interest or immediate connection with the former Lae Street Nursery Site to be part of the Advisory Group including:
- Neighbours bordering the nursery site.
- Residents of West Footscray (who are not immediate neighbours).
- Business representatives.
- Representatives from diverse community and environmental groups.
- A mix of genders and age groups.
- Parents of young children.
What this will involve
The Advisory Group will meet once a month (face to face as restrictions allow) over a period of six to eight months with the first meeting anticipated for December 2021 just prior to Christmas.
Members are expected to attend all meetings and make every effort to attend engagement activities. Membership is voluntary.
Thank you to everyone who submitted an expression of interest (EOI) to be part of the Lae Street Nursery Advisory Group. We will be in contact with the selected Advisory Group members shortly.