Consultation has concluded.
Council is seeking changes to the Maribyrnong Planning Scheme to update land use zones and introduce built form guidelines to deliver on the West Footscray Neighbourhood Plan (WFNP), developed in consultation with our community in 2018.
These changes are known as Amendment C162 and apply to the West Footscray Neighbourhood Activity Centre (Barkly Village) and land east of the centre connecting to West Footscray Railway Station.
The main precincts are:
West Footscray Neighbourhood Activity Centre (Barkly Village)
Barkly Street East - northern side
(northern side of Barkly Street between Summerhill Road and Gordon Street)
West Footscray Railway Station (4, 6 and 8 Cross Street)
Barkly Street East – southern side
(southern side of Barkly Street between Barkly Village and Whitten Oval)
The vision for a place where people can gather, socialise, shop, work, live and make use of community and leisure services without having to travel far.
Key changes to the Planning Scheme include:
- Extend the Commercial 1 Zone to cover majority of Precinct 1 to expand commercial and retail opportunities in Barkly Village.
- Insert Schedule to the General Residential Zone and apply to Precinct 2 to enable low-rise (4 storey) apartments with front garden character.
- Rezone land in Precinct 3 to Mixed Use Zone to facilitate apartments with ground floor uses to support local residents and commuters (e.g. café, newsagent, drycleaner).
- Introduce new built form controls (Design and Development Overlay) to Precincts 1, 2 and 3 to establish strong character, enhance public realm and protect amenity.
- Introduce new local policy, including a framework to guide potential transition of existing car yards and service industries in Precinct 4 to mixed commercial and residential use.
- Apply the Environmental Audit Overlay to select sites to ensure land is remediated before residential use occurs.
Council is seeking feedback on the proposed planning scheme changes until Monday 14 December 2020.
Please see FAQs and Document Library to view a map of the proposed changes and find out more.
Have your say
The proposed amendment is open for public comment from Friday 6 November to Monday 14 December 2020.
Submissions must be in writing and include your contact details.
Submissions are a public document and are made available on Council’s website or to any person who requests a copy, however your contact details will be removed.
Submissions may be made:
- Online using the submissions form below
- Email to AmendmentC162@maribyrnong.vic.gov.au
- By mail to:
Maribyrnong City Council
Strategic Planning Amendment C162
PO Box 58
Footscray VIC 3011
CLOSED: This survey has concluded.
Submission form Amendment C162
Amendments to the Maribyrnong Planning Scheme must follow the process legislated by the State Government in the Planning and Environment Act 1987. Due to this, your name and contact details are required for Council to consider submissions and ensure you are part of the process.
Consultation has concluded