Permanent Park Concept Design Released
Council has progressed design work to make the Clarke Street Pop-Up Park a permanent fixture.
Transformed from a space for cars to a space for the community during the pandemic, the pop-up park on the corner of Clarke and Barkly streets was credited with bringing the tight-knit West Footscray community back together.
At the end of last year, with the original two-year trial coming to an end, when asked if you wanted the park to become a permanent feature of Barkly Village - 98.88% of the 637 respondents replied with a resounding 'yes'.
At the time you also told us you'd like to see more shade, plants and trees, more seating and would like to see the park made bigger if possible.
In line with your feedback, we are planning to:
- extend the park footprint
- plant new trees in irrigated planters with seating
- refresh the popular street library and include a noticeboard
- install additional solar-powered lighting
- provide an informal stage area with lighting and power access
- provide a picnic areas and play elements, and
- refurbish existing seating and install new seating and moveable box seating.
We've shared the design below, which you can also download from the document library.
The Clarke Street Park design was available for community feedback during August and September 2023.
We are now considering your feedback with a view to sharing an update once it becomes available.
Park Design Features
Click on the flashing dots below to learn more about the design features.