Maribyrnong's first Changing Places facility
We're upgrading the public toilets at Yarravillle Gardens, which no longer meet users needs.
Constructed in the 1970s as part of the Council's capital works upgrades, the existing toilet block no longer complies with disability requirements, which means it fails to meet the needs of all community members.
With funding from State Government, we'll be delivering a new Changing Places facility - which is larger than standard accessible toilets and includes extra features and more space to meet the needs of people with a disability and their carers.
Identified for an upgrade in the Maribyrnong Public Toilet Plan 2019-2029, the new toilet block will include:
- one changing places facility available 24/7 via a master locksmith access key (MLAK)
- one accessible toilet (with child’s pan and change table)
- two all-gender ambulant toilets; and
- one shower and change stall
- storage area for use by local sporting clubs (the existing toilet block also included a storage area for sporting clubs.)
We're also collaborating with Art Life (artists living with a disability) to create artwork for the new toilet block which, once built will be fully compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and other relevant legislation.
Feedback on the design for the upgraded toilet block has now closed and we are reviewing the community's feedback.
The new toilet block will be constructed in 2024.